Last month we decided to plant some strawberries and so far they seem to be doing really well. We successfully grew our own strawberries last year and are hoping the same this year so I thought I would share a few hints and tip on growing your own strawberries.
- Dont Over Water – water logging can cause the fruits to become diseased and the plant to rot. Although water is important for the fruits to grow its important to not add too much. I found that one out the hard way a few years back when my daughter got a bit to excited with the amounts of water she was putting in the pots everyday and unfortunately it killed of the plants.
- Spacing – Strawberry plants will spread out about 2 ft in every direction. Small containers will only need 1 or 2 plants.
- Good Drainage – As with all plants its important that the pots you are using have holes at the bottom for drainage so that the plant doesn’t get water logged.
- Place A Net on Top – Placing a net over the top of the plants can prevent birds and other animals from eating the fruit.
- Plant In Summer – The best time to put your strawberry plants out doors is from June until early September. After this its best to remove the flower heads so that you have a healthy plant next year.
- Keep The Plants in Sunlight -Strawberries require around 6-10 hours a day of direct sunlight, so choose somewhere that the sunlight hits your plants.
- Pick Out the Ripe Strawberries – Picking out any ripe strawberries can prevent your plant from rotting. Check the plants every other day during the ripening period.
There you have it a few of our tips and ideas on growing your own strawberries.Please feel free to share any of your own tips in the comments section.